New York, NY 10036
Salary: $32.00 /hour
Marine Captain Job Description
New York Cruise Lines (NYCL) is the parent company of industry-leading travel, tourism, entertainment, and restaurant businesses that emphasize the ultimate in hospitality set to the beauty of the NYC skyline. NYCL owns and operates 24 ships, including the most extensive and modern fleet in the sightseeing industry. NYCL’s most iconic brand, Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises, is a fixture in global tourism, hosting more than 80 million passengers since 1945. Recognized as “America’s Favorite Boat Ride,” Circle Line is world-famous for sightseeing and special events including concerts and entertainment. Operating from Pier 83 in Hudson River Park at 42nd Street and 12th Avenue, (convenient to Times Square, The High Line and Hudson Yards) and Pier 16 near the South Street Seaport and the World Trade Center, Circle Line is the oldest and largest provider of sightseeing cruises using the most modern vessels. NYCL also operates the iconic New York Water Taxi transportation fleet, New York’s only maritime thrill-ride, The Beast, New York’s premier luxury-charter fleet, World Yacht, and innovative maritime restaurants, North River Lobster Company and La Barca Cantina.
We are searching for a full-time Captain to be responsible of operating our vessels in a safe manner in line with company and federal regulations. Captain duties include enforcing all United States Coast Guard regulations, ensuring the safe operation of the vessel, crew and passengers, maintain all reports and log books. Under the direction of the Port Captain, they will work closely with leadership to support and engage employees to strive for the best employment experience for all employees.
· Maintains Vessel Operations and Maintenance Logs, Personnel Reports, Licensing, Safety Training Records, Vessels certificates, FCC licenses, VGP.
· Safe, and proper boat handling of ‘twin-screw’ and Z drive vessels , while adhering to all Coast Guard rules and regulations
· Strong focus on safety, and the ability to communicate best practices to passengers and crew by conducting ongoing safety drills as required
· Strong focus on customer service
· Preventative, and ongoing routine vessel maintenance including, but not limited to diesel engines, plumbing, electrical, water (potable, raw, black, and gray) fire suppression, communications, and navigation systems.
· Display leadership, setting the example and offering guidance is a key component in supervising the crew
• Current valid 100-ton Inland license
• 5 years marine experience preferred, with two years as captain with an outstanding record
• Transportation Worker Identification Credential “TWIC”
• FCC Radio Operators Permit
• Current First-aid/CPR
• Pre-employment, and ongoing random drug testing required
• Working knowledge of Coast Guard regulations and shipboard systems.
• Strong leadership and organizational skills.
• Experience working on vessels with Z Drives a plus.
• Minimum five years operation of passenger’s vessels as a senior captain.
• Valid USCG License to operate vessels up to 100 gross ton.
• First Aid and CPR certification.
• FCC Radio Operators License
• Valid Driver’s License
• Valid TWIC
• Ability to communicate clearly in English to all levels of personnel